Extract from www.british-history.ac.uk
The mission hall of ST. ALBAN, Ashford Road, was built in 1889 as a mission of St. Saviour's. A mission room in Gosport Road listed in 1903–5 may have been connected with it. (fn. 169) St. Alban's closed in 1939. It was later used as a factory until 1966, when it was bought by Walthamstow borough council for demolition. (fn. 170) The 'Navvy Mission', an iron building in Station Road, was in use from 1896 to 1908.
In 1945 the church was badly damaged by fire. Repairs were started three years later and the church was rededicated in 1950. Parts of the parish of St. James were transferred to those of St. Barnabas (1901) and St. James the Greater (1904). Since 1963 the name of the parish has been changed to St. Saviour.